League Weather Policy & Guidelines
Below are the guidelines for how the Nevada Interscholastic Cycling League (NICL) will conduct races in the event of challenging weather and/or acts of nature. Our primary consideration is the safety of racers, race support staff, race visitors, and potential damage to the race course site.
Any decisions regarding cancelling, postponing, or altering race start times, lap lengths, number of laps, etc. will be made jointly by the NV League director, the land manager, and the NV League chief referee. Often, this decision cannot be made until the morning of the race due to the unpredictable nature of wet or stormy weather, or acts of nature such as lightning, forest fires, etc.
The NICL will make every attempt to notify the racing population via Facebook and web site updates as soon as possible.
NICL Weather & Acts of Nature:
- Races are held on their scheduled dates unless the race course on the day of the race is deemed un-rideable and dangerous.
- The NICL will have the option to delay the start of a race from the published times if the weather or act of nature has created dangerous conditions.
- Courses and/or lap lengths may be altered or shortened because of weather conditions. Last minute changes will be broadcast to racers at the start of each wave via the race announcer. If conditions require a change in number of laps during a race, a person will be stationed at the lap line advising riders of the change.
- The NICL will develop a wet weather course alteration in case of extremely wet conditions that threaten the trails used for the race.
- All racing will stop immediately in the presence of lightning as signified by the chief referee. Racing may continue once the league director, chief referee, and the head timer have conferred.
- Re-starting a race that has been stopped due to lightning;
- depending on schedule and number of laps completed, the race may be declared over
- if time permits, racers will be able to resume laps beginning from the lap line
- Communication of delays, changes in start time, courses, and so on will be made by the NICL as follows:
- on the league web site prior to the race day, if possible.
- on the public address system on the race day.
- via forms of social media.
- NICL will not refund pre-registration fees due to inclement weather or acts of nature. NICL does not allow registration transfers to subsequent races due to inclement weather.